Garage sales are allowed in residential zones identified in the zoning bylaw but must meet certain conditions.
- No one can hold a garage sale without having a valid permit issued by the City. The permit is available 24 hours a day at no cost, at the offices of the Patrol located at 10 Sunnydale;
- The permit is obtained by completing and signing a form provided by the City with the following information: applicant's name, surname, address and telephone number as well as the date of the sale;
- Garage sales may only sell used items, items acquired for domestic use by the occupants where they are being sold, the quantity not exceeding the normal needs of the occupants;
- Only one sale is permitted annually for the same property;
- A garage sale can only be held for one or two consecutive days;
- All garage sales must be held between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m. ;
- Only signs provided by the City are allowed to be posted in the City to advertise the sale;
- These signs are issued at the same time as the permit and are limited to four per address;
- Signs may be installed 48 hours prior to the sale;
- All signs must be removed immediately following the end of the sale under risk of a penalty.
- The applicant may ask for a change of date if the sale was cancelled due to bad weather. This must be done by calling the Patrol before 9 a.m. on the day of the sale.
Anyone found contravening bylaw nº R-2006-024 concerning garage sales may be fined for an amount between $100 and $200.
Patrol, 514 684-6111
These guidelines are for information only and hold no legal value. The official text written in the bylaw takes precedence.